Monday, February 16, 2009

Behind the fridge and back again

I've achieved a new level of warrior. I've seen a mouse in my house 3 times in the last 24 hours. I'm not sure if it's the same mouse or three different mice. Either way, I don't like it. And every night I can hear the mouse/mice digging into the cereal box, and actually munching away. It's loud and frightening and even obnoxious. Well, last night I pulled the fridge out and removed the box of cereal and threw it in the garbage chute. The mouse had eaten a perfect hole in the box. I was expecting to see a few cereal flakes on the floor but it looked like half the bag had been emptied out. And much of that was halfway under the 40 year old linoleum. I was appauled. And I was still scared out of my mind because I thought the mouse/mice might be under the fridge and come scurrying out when I started sweeping. I had to take a moment to prepare. I considered leaving that shit where it lay but knew this was where the problem lay. I couldn't take another night of burrowing, crunching mice in my apartment. I took some big deep breaths and I went in. I swept the garbage into a pile then tore the linoleum up and dumped that down the chute. Now I was free to sweep up the 20 pounds of cereal. I did it. And I ended up cleaning up everything that fell behind the fridge since I've been living here. I found some blank dvds and a jar of hand cream. I'm pretty stoked about that. And the best part. No more crunching mice at night. I know they'll still come looking for cereal but they'll be nothing there. Now all I have to do is get over my fear of mouse traps and I'll be good to go. I know that's weird but I don't want to get my fingers clamped in the trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment